Summerfield Day Excerpt
Concern for the final resting
place for college faculty was expressed by the Board of Trustees at its
meeting of August 16-19, 1876. It was "Ordered, That five acres of land be
surveyed under direction of President Welch; that the same be set aside
for the purposes of a College Cemetery and be transferred from the
department of Horticulture and Forestry to the department of Ornamental
It seems reasonable to assume that the selection
of the site was then made by President Welch. In 1883 an appropriation
of $75.00 was made for fencing the cemetery. No road served the cemetery
until 1888 or 1889. The Biennial Report for those years states that
provision was made for the construction of a road sixteen and one-half
feet wide running from the cemetery gate east until intersecting the
road running north from the College. The new road was the first section
of what has now become Pammel Drive. At that time the road north from
the College was on the west side of Old main and ran just west of what
is today the center line of Gilman and Spedding Halls.
In November of 1895 the Trustees authorized
enlargement of the cemetery "as much as necessary for cemetery
purposes", and authorized an expenditure of $100.00 in order that "the
cemetery be beautified and ornamented and thoroughly cared for."
Funds for completion of the cemetery plat were
made available in 1904. In the 21st & 22nd Biennial Reports,
1903-1906, references were made to inadequate care of the cemetery.
In 1906, the President was authorized to assign
lots "as occasion arises and report such assignments to the Board
"in order that they may be entered of record." The first
regulations governing the use of the cemetery were adopted by the Board
of Trustees at their meeting of April 12, 1907. They were stated:
- The privilege of interment in the College
Cemetery shall be restricted to the College Faculty and their
- The general care and supervision of the
Cemetery shall be vested in the Public Grounds Committee.
- The Public Grounds Committee may assign lots in
the College Cemetery subject to the following conditions:
- No coping or enclosures will be permitted
- Burial lots shall not be filled above the
- The surface of the grave shall conform to the
- Corner stones must not project above the
- Plans of proposed monuments shall be submitted
to the Public Grounds Committee for approval.
- The foundation for monuments shall be of the
length and width of the monument and the floor for the same shall be
level with the bottom of the grave.
- The construction may be either of Portland
cement concrete in the proportion of one, three and five or rubble
stone laid in one to three Portland cement mortar.
- The planting, pruning and removal of all trees
in the Cemetery shall be under the direction of the Public Grounds
- To insure the perpetual care of the lots
the lessee shall be required to deposit the College Treasurer
previous to the first interment a sum equal to ten cents per square
foot multiplied by the number of square feet in the lot assigned.
This fund is to be invested by the College. Its proceeds are to be
kept under a separate account and expended for the care of the said
lot, under the direction of the Public Grounds Committee and bills
for the same are to be paid under the rules of the College Board of
- It is recommended that persons now holding lots
in said Cemetery be requested to conform to the above named
Some modifications of those rules were made in 1915.
Current regulations preclude assignment of lots to
anyone with less than 20 years of service to the university, and to
those of less than assistant professor or equal non-academic rank. Lots
are not deeded to the families, but remain university property.
Permanent privileges are granted. Today less than one-sixth of the 240
plotted lots remain unassigned.
Regulations have been updated since this
publication. View current regulations.
Copyright © 1995-2013, Iowa State University, all rights reserved.