Birthplace of the Computer
South of Physics Hall
"The world’s first electronic digital computer was built on the Iowa State campus from 1939 through 1942 by John V. Atanasoff, a professor of physics and mathematics, and Clifford Berry, an engineering graduate student. Principles used in the Atanasoff-Berry Computer are the basis for modern computing, and Atanasoff is now considered the “father of the computer.”
Copyright © 1995-2013, Iowa State University, all rights reserved.