Birthplace of Cooperative Extension
North of Curtiss Hall
"In 1903, the nation’s first cooperative agricultural extension program was launched when Iowa State professor Perry Holden, a group of farmers in Sioux County, and the county’s board of supervisors created a plan for educating farmers about improving seed corn. This massive effort included demonstration farms, farmer institutes, and special “seed corn exhibit trains” traveling from town to town on Iowa’s railroads. Cooperative Extension nationwide is the result of this model of support and funding."
Marker replaced in May 2007 after being damaged in 2005 tornado on campus.
Copyright © 1995-2013, Iowa State University, all rights reserved.