Type of Marker:
American Society of Landscape Architects
West side of Curtiss Hall
"ASLA Centennial Medallion. The American Society of Landscape Architects 1899-1999. This site is recognized as a National Landmark for outstanding Landscape Architecture."
This marker was placed to commemorate the ISU campus in the following recognition as part of the ASLA Centennial Year as an organization:
“The Iowa Chapter of the American Society of Landscape Architects presents this award to Iowa State University and to the Landscape Architects involved in its planning, design and development. ASLA recognizes this campus as having national significance and contributing to the quality of life in Iowa.”
ISU was one of only three campuses nationwide to be recognized (UVA and Harvard) were the other two. The ceremony was held on September 20, 1999. President Jischke received the award on behalf of the university.
This site was selected in order to reflect central campus and have the medallion become a part of it. It was important to have the campanile visible, to recognize the quality of the space, the strength and organizational structure of the plant material and to be located along a major campus circulation route.
Copyright © 1995-2013, Iowa State University, all rights reserved.