Type of Marker:
East of Food Science Building
"A striking achievement among the many associated with the Wartime Atomic Energy Project in the United States was the production of many tons of pure Uranium by a group consisting of faculty and students working in a disused building on the campus of the Iowa State College at Ames." Classtone, sourcebook on Atomic Energy. On this site between 1942 and 1946 over 2,000,000 pounds of Uranium metal were produced for the Manhattan District Project by Dr. F. H. Spedding and associates."
This plaque is located at the site where a temporary building served as the headquarters for the development of uranium for the war effort in 1942-46.
Copyright © 1995-2013, Iowa State University, all rights reserved.